Move Well Eat Well is managed by the Tasmanian Department of Health and Human Services, with the cooperation and support of a range of partner organisations and services.
Find out more about the organsations that govern, advise and support us.
Move Well Eat Well promotes a healthier Tasmania in which children can enjoy healthy eating and physical activity every day. It contributes to a healthy lifestyle and to the prevention of a range of chronic conditions such as obesity, diabetes, heart disease, some cancers and dental decay.
About the Award
The Move Well Eat Well Award is available to Tasmanian early childhood services and primary schools. Schools and services are supported to meet key criteria which reinforce healthy eating and promote physical activity.
The Move Well Eat Well Award Program is a comprehensive, straightforward guide to creating a healthier environment for children.
The Award is made up of six healthy messages:
- Tap into Water Every Day
- Plant Fruit & Veg in Your Lunchbox
- Limit 'Occasional' or "Sometimes" Foods
- Move, Play and Go
- Turn Off, Switch to Play
- Stride and Ride
The seventh Health Promoting School/Service criterion ties the Move Well Eat Well messages together to promote lasting change and link with families.
The Move Well Eat Well Award offers:
- Recognition of achievement
- A positive whole early childhood service or primary school approach to promoting sustainable healthy eating and physical activity.
- A simple framework for planning and action
- Tailored Tasmanian resources for educators,teachers, parents and health professionals, with clear links to the curriculum.
- The Move Well Eat Well team provides coordination, and helps build partnerships between health professionals in local areas and participating services and schools.
Questions about the award
How quickly do we need to meet all of the Award criteria?
Can we work on the criteria in any order?
Our school is a Move Well Eat Well member. Do we have to join the Early Childhood program, or are we automatically members?
What if we can't meet one of the Award criteria?
What if a staff member or parent does not support an Award criteria?
What about other initiatives to support healthy eating and physical activity?
How long does the Award status last?
Become a Move Well Eat Well Member
Membership is free. Member early childhood services and primary schools and are offered an orientation, resources and support. Working towards an Award can be done at a pace appropriate to the service or school. In many cases, services and schools find they have achieved many of the criteria already and use the Program to make their approach sustainable and embedded in their daily practice.