Tasmanians can learn more about DisabilityCare Australia, the National Disability Insurance Scheme, at a number of upcoming information forums across the state.
People with a disability, their families and carers are encouraged to attend the forums to receive important information on the launch of DisabilityCare Australia.
DisabilityCare Australia, the National Disability Insurance Scheme, will fundamentally change the way people with disability are supported.
The Australian Government has invested $1 billion in the first stage, which will launch in five sites across Australia, with Tasmania being one of the launch sites.
Local information forums are being held for service providers, people with disability, their families and carers and the general public.
Tasmania's role as a launch site will enhance the support and services available to around 1,000 Tasmanians with a disability aged between 15 and 24 from July.
DisabilityCare Australia will give these young people increased control and choice over the support they need to participate in our community.
The Tasmanian Government has committed an additional $2 million on top of the $17.9 million that it currently spends on disability services for this age group.
The information sessions will be held at:
- Glenorchy: Monday 22 April 2013, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm Terry Martin Senior Room, Glenorchy Civic Centre, Cooper Street
- New Norfolk: Monday 22 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; New Norfolk RSL, 30 George Street
- Queenstown: Monday 22 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; West Coast Council Chambers, 11 Sticht Street
- Mornington: Tuesday 23 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Citywide Baptist Church and Venue, 400 Cambridge Road
- Burnie: Tuesday 23 April, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm; Braddon Hall, Burnie Arts and Function Centre, Wilmot Street
- Latrobe: Tuesday 23 April, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm; Memorial Hall/Performing Arts Centre, Gilbert Street
- Huonville: Wednesday 24 April 2013, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Apple Room, Huon Linc, 1 Skinner Drive
- Smithton: Wednesday 24 April, 11:30 am to 1:00 pm; Training Room, Wyndarra Centre, 43 Smith Street
- Oatlands: Friday 26 April 2013, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm; Midland Initiative Local Enterprise, 68 High Street
- George Town: Monday 29 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Council Memorial Hall, 29-67 Macquarie Street
- Deloraine: Tuesday 30 April, 10:30 am to 12:00 pm; Deloraine Community Complex, Alveston Drive
- St Helens: Wednesday 1 May, 11:00 am to 12:30 pm; St Helens Day Care Centre, Circassian Street
- Launceston: Wednesday 1 May, 3:00 pm to 4:30 pm; The Boat House, 55a Lindsay Street, Invermay
Services and support will still be available to people with disability who are outside the targeted age group for the DisabilityCare Australia launch.
Further information about the forums can be found at http://www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/disability/national_disability_insurance_scheme or by telephoning the NDIS Launch Transition Agency on 6233 8551.