Point of Sale
There are significant restrictions on the way tobacco products are displayed and sold in Tasmania.
There is a complete ban on:
- displaying tobacco products (excludes specialist tobacconists)
- advertising tobacco products, and promotional displays
- providing false information on the health effects of tobacco
- confectionery or toys which look like tobacco products
- packages containing fewer than 20 cigarettes.
There are also significant limitations on the display of tobacco products:
- Items designed or marketed for use by children (including confectionery) must not be displayed within 75 centimeters of a sales unit.
- Vending machines may have a maximum of 40 vending chips displaying only price tickets relating to tobacco product.
Approved notices must be displayed where tobacco products are displayed and on vending machines.
Failure to comply with these requirements may result in an infringement notice or prosecution.